Sunday 14 November 2010

Current event 5

New ocean acidification study shows added danger to already struggling coral reefs
Rebecca Albright, Benjamin Mason, Margaret Miller, Chris Langdon.
November, 13, 2010
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101108151328.htm
Science Daily

This article describes how ocean acidification is a threat to the existence of coral reefs. Ocean acidification is when seawater and carbon dioxide are mixed resulting in water getting acid. This is a major problem for the whole marine world. I think that this is very dangerous, not only for the reef, but also for the species around, because they cannot eat, or hide from predators in the coral reefs because the acidification is destroying it. It is said that the coral reef cannot recover from disturbance, which means that they could not severely fight against it and survive letting the species around survive too. One of the most endangered specie of coral reefs is called Elkhorn coral, or Acropora palmata who rebuilds the coral reefs. However, it was put in the endangered species list in 2006 because its' population was getting smaller through the decades behind. Another problem is that acidity is increasing troubles in the marine food web making organisms such as oysters and sea urchins more difficult and hard to survive. The scientists says that reproductive failure of coral species is a concern because reefs are already stressed out from hurricanes, floods, etc...
This article has surprised me because it mentioned that this has been happening for centuries- it reminds me of news I heard on TV that describes bombs falling in the sea for centuries now and destroying all the coral reefs and species- since I've been in that place, I saw only empty rocks with nothing- no grass, no flowers, etc... This article is connecting to our topic in class with organisms that depend ion survival. It has also shown me that the human activities are AGAIN a source of someones disturbance, no matter how deep the reefs are.

2 comments:

  1. Geez, I think that's a very serious issue. All those animals dying because of humans...AGAIN. I can't believe that we are the cause of so much death. Every time we pollute, litter, or basically do ANYTHING, it disrupts some kind of food chain out there, and kills a whole bunch of little lives. That makes me feel really bad.
    I think that your article was very good, because it explained about what's happening, why it's happening, and how it affects the earth. It made me think, once again, about how humans are affecting the planet, and what I can do to help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I appreciate your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete